Thursday 2 February 2017

LOHRI CELEBRATIONS

SHORT STORY

LOHRI CELEBRATIONS

It was 13 January, the day was quite sunny and perfect for sun bathe during winters. Most of the people know that in northern part of the India the day is celebrated as Lohri festival. During the day, children go from door to door singing folk songs. These children are given sweets etc. and occasionally, money. The collections gathered by the children are known as Lohri and consist of til, gachchak, moongphali (peanuts), popcorn etc. Lohri is then distributed at night during the festival. Till, peanuts, popcorn and other food items are also thrown into the bonfire. In houses that recently had a marriage (preferably boy) or childbirth (preferably boy), Lohri celebrations are made with more excitements, Bhangra and the Peanuts, popcorns, gachchak, crystal sugar and fruits etc. are distributed among all the nears and dears.

Coming back on the topic, I alongwith my wife was invited that day for Lohri celebrations by my cousin at his place in view of his son’s birth. His name is Raman, works in some paramilitary force as Havaldar and resides in a village. He is celebrating Lohri with great zeal and happiness because his wife Asha (a housewife) has given birth to a son after the birth of two girls (one 06 years old Aradhana and other 02 years old Ekta) and his wait for a son has finally completed.
My wife was calling from me from kitchen: take your breakfast yourself from kitchen, I have also to get ready or else we will be late to reach there. Then I ate my breakfast, put the utensils in the sink and I changed my clothes and get ready for going to my cousin’s house.

We left our house at about 11:00 a.m. and it was about 1 hour journey from my house. On the way, we stopped at fuel station, refilling petrol in my vehicle. While sitting in the car at the fuel station, I recalled that we forget to buy some gifts for kids so we bought toys for Aradhana, Ekta and newly born baby boy. At around 1:00 p.m. we were at my cousin’s place.

It was celebrations atmosphere there and many of the relatives and family friends were already reached. Raman Bhaiya welcomed us and we congratulated him and Asha Bhabhi and after their son. We had a small chit-chat with them and their daughters and particularly Aradhana and Ekta were very happy on receiving toys and Lohri gifts.

There was a little conversation with Raman Bhaiya and innocent Aradhana to which I was keenly listening. Aradhana while little confused asked her father, ‘Papa, is there any function or party in our home?

Raman Bhaiya: No beta, today we are celebrating Lohri in view of birth of your little bhaiya.
Aradhana: Why we are celeberate Lohri for Bhaiya?
Raman Bhaiya: Beta, this is custom beta, whenever is there any Marriage or child birth, Lohri is celebrated.
Aradhana: Papa, it means when I was born there was also Lohri celebrations.

After hearing this conversation, I was remind of my last visit to Raman Bhaiya an year ago when I had a little chat with him when he was telling me that he was planning for third baby after two girls. 

I said to him: You have already two children, what is the need of third one?
He: I wish to have son, that’s why
Me: In which time you live Bhaiya, girl or boy, how does it matters. Give your daughters love and quality education they will reciprocate more than boys.
He: I love my daughters, but I need son who could take care of us in our old age.
Me: Don’t you think, in such a times of inflation it would be difficult to manage quality education for three children for a middle class person. You note down my one thing that whenever there would a situation of option between girl and boy for giving better opportunity, your girl will have to manage.
He: I will manage, but son is son, you know.....

I came out of my thoughts when Aradhana was continuely saying to her father, Papa tell me, had you celebrated Lohri on my birth? Tell me, please tell me.

Raman Bhaiya was looking at his wife, towards me, but he had no answer and Aradhana was continuing asking the same question.
But the question is still there, when we talk only of equal opportunities for Girls or Boys, still we are not able to come out of ages old mindsets.....
                                                                                           - SD BOGAL

2 comments: