Monday 27 February 2017

SHORT STORY

SHOTU...


It was a lazy Sunday morning and as there was no hurry of getting up early for office and also no school for kids. We were enjoying our slumber after hectic week’s schedule. It was around 8:30 in the morning when the silence of our room was broken by the ring of my cell phone. At first, I placed cushion on my phone to avoid it while my eyes still closed.

After a while, my phone rang once again. This time I answered and it was Atul, my friend. He told me that he is going to watch movie and want me to accompany. First of all I denied as I want to spend the day with family but he insisted to come with him alongwith family as he was also going with his family.

“I can’t assure you at the moment and will call you later about this only after having a word in this regard with Anju (my wife),” I told him and hung up.

Then I told her about the movie plan with Atul & his family and she agreed upon it.  After that I ring back Atul and told him that we are joining them for movie and decided to meet them at a tea stall near the Multiplex at 4:00 p.m.

We had our bed tea at around 9:30 a.m. and taken brunch at around12:00 noon due to weekly pending household chores.

Our eight years old son was insisting to go with us but we refused due to much violence & vulgarity in the movies nowadays.

At around 3:20 p.m. we left our house to proceed towards destination and reached there at around 3:50 p.m.  Atul had not reached there till then.

“I had already told you that no one is as punctual as you,” said Anju while opening the window of car.

“He will also be reaching there, we have reached 10 minutes before the scheduled time. Anyway, I am calling him to know about his whereabouts,” I replied her while calling Atul.

After putting the phone down I informed Anju that as informed by him, Atul will be here in around 20 minutes.
“Waiting for someone is killing”, said Anju.
“Tea at this tea stall is very tasty, let’s have tea, I told her.

I parked my car nearby and ordered two cups of tea at Tea Stall.
After sometime, a small kid (in shabby clothes) of the age somewhat same as my son, served us tea.

“What is your name beta,” said Anju while addressing to him.
“My name is Raju but everyone call me Shotu here,” he replied.
In the meanwhile, the owner yelled at him, “Hurry up Shotu, you always work lethargically, collect the cups & utensils from other tables and wash them quickly.”

“How cute and innocent boy he is,” Anju asked me pointing towards Raju.

I nodded my head in acceptance and while taking the sip of tea, our eyes were following him picking up cups & other utensils for washing speedily. While he was picking up cups & utensils, he slipped down and two-three cups fell down and broken.

After having seen the broken cups, owner of the shop while abusing him badly said, “Are you blind or what? I will recover the cost of cups from your salary and if it happened again I will throw you out of the shop.”

At the same time, Atul and his family reached the venue and I was busy talking with them. Till then Anju had rushed to the counter and was messed up with the owner of the tea stall.

“Don’t you know child labour is a crime, and how are you bullying a tender aged child on a petty issue,” Anju asked the shopkeeper in frenzy.

“You don’t know about these bastards Madam, they are slackers,” replied the shop owner.

“Hold on Mr., I am going to call police that you are doing child labour and harassing a child, Anju asked him in an intimidatory tone once again.  

As I was about to approach Anju, Raju requested me in the midway, “Sir please ask Madam ji not to interfere so that I could continue to work here.”

We persuaded Anju to calm down and asked her that Raju wants to continue to work here.

Anju said to Raju, “Why you want to work here? It is not your age for work, you should study first.”

“My father has died one year ago and my mother is also ill. I have one young brother and sister to feed, that’s why.......” he couldn’t complete his sentence and tears fell down from his beautiful eyes.

We both were stunned to know the amount of burden on the tiny shoulders of a small kid who has not enjoyed any happiness in his life.

I said to Anju, “Even if we call the police, they will send him to Children Home but what about his family.”

I then addressed to Raju, “Beta, after your work, could you want to study?”
“Yes, Why not sir,” he replied.

With the promise to teach him every weekend and after giving money for his loss to the shopkeeper with the promise not to be harsh with him in future, we left the place.

But the question about the future of scores of children like Raju or Shotu is still there. Till when kids like Raju have to ruin their childhood inspite of innumerable Govt. & Non-Government Organizations and Child Development Ministry working for child rights  & elementary education for them ???????
                                                                                    - S D Bogal



1 comment: